.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Summer is coming to a close

I am ashamed to say that I'm not completely bummed that summer is ending (as I usually am). This summer has been the most interesting one I can remember, although my life was far from hectic or busy.

I am happily in love-- a newlywed, enjoying the company of my husband and appreciating that we're actually living in the same province now (unlike during our months of engagement when I lived in Ottawa and he lived in Regina). I'm also noticing that Saskatchwan has sunny skies alllllll the time...can't complain there! I've also had the pleasure of meeting several new friends through Devin and through church. These people have made me feel at home here.

I suppose the "interesting" part of my summer has been the way I've been feeling. It's really all up in my head...somedays I made myself crazy! I knew that I should be overjoyed that I'm finished with university, married to my best friend, and living in a new place with great people; but every so often I would crave sitting on the beach, or visiting the lighthouse, or vegging out and watching a tv show (we haven't watched tv for months), or visiting with my best friend who I don't have to explain my history or my background to because she was there for most of it...she knows me already. I guess this is what you call homesickness. Most times, I'll only let myself feel this way for about 30 minutes until I feel guilty and selfish. Today was one of those days. A plane ticket home is SO expensive. Even to go and see my wonderful in-laws is just a ridiculous price. As I rememered this fact today, I was not a happy camper.

So the reason I say that I'm not entirely unhappy that the winter is moving in and the summer is fading is because this entire summer reminded me of all of the things I miss about home. Salt air, being near the ocean every single day, running into people who have known me since diapers, back yard barbeques, hanging out with Mom and Dad and Devin while we had deep discussions and drank tea :), being able to run to the nearest lake and cool off when it's hot out....This summer really was unique, and there was so much I loved about it. But the nagging "missing" feeling...uggg...I could handle not feeling like that ever again.

So aside from the sulking...let me go over some of the great things that happened this summer. Devin and I were quickly welcomed into the community. We were invited over to home after home for meals, company and bbqs. I met some great girls through church and Devin's work who are so fun to be around and undersatand that it's not easy being so far from home. I've also become a Sunday School teacher to some great kids and teens. I've taken up reading as a nearly obsessive hobby. I helped out at my church's VBS program which was so much fun. Devin and I went on our first camping trip as husband and wife on a beautiful lake. I attended several awesome bonfires and discovered the deliciousness that is Tim Tam Slams...yum. Also, my best friend came all the way from NS to visit me at the end of August, and my parents came the following week.

So...no complaints here. This summer was NOT bad-just different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts