.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day, my love

Today is love day, also known as Valentine's Day. 6 years ago today, I was in my apartment in Halifax, a 2nd year University student, and Devin was in his aunt and uncle's home in Hamilton, and in his 2nd and final year of College. We were having one of our hundreds of phone chats that lasted for hours. We had met the previous summer, August 15th I believe, and then parted ways for what I assumed was for good as I was from NS and he was from Ontario. Thanks to the good ol internet we somehow reconnected in October ish...not totally sure how. We soon became quite smitten with eachother and talked on the phone or chatted online for HOURS and texted back and forth all day long. We made our relationship official from a distance on Feb/ 14th 2006 and it's been love ever since. I went to visit him 4 days later in Ontario on my Spring break, we knew then that this was it. We told each other that night the "I love you" phrase, and declared "Sweet Home Alabama" to be our song because it was playing while we expressed those words...Sounds SO cheesy! But so sweet :)

2 years later we were engaged, 1 year after that married, and almost 3 years after that here were are in southern Saskatchewan.  It's been a wonderful 6 years. It's not always infatuated, fluttery butterflies and rainbows--but it usually is.

it's official

"walk through this world with me, go where I go, share all my dreams with me..."

our first summer in Saskatchewan 


Banff, Alberta. Summer 2010.

Devin's 27th birthday. 2012.

Thanksgiving 2011



 
Dancing in the Minefields- Andrew Peterson
I was nineteen, you were twenty-one
The year we got engaged
Everyone said we were much too young
But we did it anyway

We bought our rings for forty each
From a pawn shop down the road
We made our vows and took the leap
Now fifteen years ago

We went dancing in the minefields
We went sailing in the storm
And it was harder than we dreamed
But I believe that's what the promise is for

"I do" are the two most famous last words
The beginning of the end
But to lose your life for another I've heard
Is a good place to begin
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/a/andrew_peterson/dancing_in_the_minefields.html ]
'Cause the only way to find your life
Is to lay your own life down
And I believe it's an easy price
For the life that we have found

And we're dancing in the minefields
We're sailing in the storm
This is harder than we dreamed
But I believe that's what the promise is for

So when I lose my way, find me
When I loose love's chains, bind me
At the end of all my faith, till the end of all my days
When I forget my name, remind me

'Cause we bear the light of the Son of Man
So there's nothing left to fear
So I'll walk with you in the shadowlands
Till the shadows disappear

'Cause he promised not to leave us
And his promises are true
So in the face of all this chaos, baby,
I can dance with you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts