.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Television

"ARGH!!!!!!!!!!"

This is how Devin and I have been feeling about television and movies lately. Complete and utter frustration. I feel silly even bringing it up sometimes because it's such a "first world problem". But the reality is, it is our reality. We don't have to watch anything, EVER, if we don't want to, but we do want to. Life is slow in Gravelbourg, and sometimes it's nice to sit down and watch something on Netflix or television and just do a little nothing for awhile. The issue here is we can find very little lately that is not making us cover our eyes or squirm with discomfort. The nudity, the sexual innuendos, the cursing, the accepted immorality, the crude talk, the sex scenes...and on and on it goes. Even advertisements in the middle of the day are showing far more than I'm comfortable looking at.

I'm a big girl, I can turn off the TV when this happens (and I do), but it is happening more and more and it is starting to really get under my skin. Maybe it's pregnancy hormones, maybe it's personal convictions, maybe I'm starting to think about our precious baby coming into this messed up world. I feel the need to run and hide from this ridiculous world sometimes. I feel helpless to change it. I will just continue to turn off the screens, and pray:

Lord, have mercy on us. Protect our eyes, and guard our hearts. Give us discernment and self-control to turn away from the filth, and cleanse our minds of what we have already let in. Forgive us for the times we have thought these types of shows and movies were acceptable to watch, and protect us every time we turn on the television. Help us to honour You in all that we see and listen to.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts