.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Sister, put some clothes on!

Since I've been living out of a city and in a very small town in Saskatchewan, perhaps my views have changed, or perhaps my de-sensitization has faded...but all I know is this-- I am exhausted by the half-naked ladies all over the tv, movies, internet, ads, magazines...and the list continues. The issue first popped in my mind last week when I was watching the season premier of Survivor with my husband. I have always been aware that the girls on the show (and some of the guys) show WAY too much skin. But the editing of this particular Survivor drove me crazy! The very first challenge involved wrestling between 3 nearly naked girls where their bathing suit tops were falling off, and one even came off completely as she ran off and won the challenge...topless. The camera angles were belly, breats, butts, and VERY personal shots when the girls were bent over. If anyone thinks this is accidental on the part of the producers...they are naiive. I know it's my choice to turn off the tv, or avoid certain shows or movies...and I do. But even the "safe" ones seem to be getting ridiculous. There are a number of reasons this bothers me. 1- I don't want my husband to have to deal with the constant "looking away" or closing his eyes out of love and respect for me (although I completely appreciate it). 2- If or when I have children I don't want my girls to think skimpy clothes or bathing suits are desirable or sexy, or my boys to be convinced that girls who act and dress like this are good mates, or the obvious fact that young men already have their hormones to deal with and don't need over sexualized media to tempt them even further. 3- I don't need these images to compare my own self to. It is already difficult not to be critical of one's self...why would we need any help? 4- Marriages have enough to deal with already. The last thing they need is half naked men and women parading around on screen, causing temptations, jealousy, mistrust, hurts and needless arguments. This is definitely a vent.
I am blessed to have a husband who shares the same values as me, and knows when the tv needs to be turned off...but it is still a huge problem and affects men, women, and children. I don't know how I, as one person, could change this naked reality; but what I can do it pray about it and try to be an example of a woman who doesn't feel the need to be half-dressed to feel confident or pretty. My husband likes me in yoga pants and ponytails, and I feel so blessed to have the assurance that I'm loved for my heart and soul, and not my skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts