.

Friday, December 9, 2011

Meeting the Social Worker

On Monday (Dec. 5th to be exact), Devin and I went to Moose Jaw. Part 1 of the day involved going to the hospital to have Devin tested. Part 2 was us going to Social Services and meeting with the social worker we will be dealing with through the adoption process. We were in her office for nearly 3 hours going over the details of our application and what we "did and did not want" in a child. It was quite difficult, challenging and painful. She told us some of the sickening, disheartening stories of her job and it made me want to A- protect and love all of these poor babies she was talking about and B- kick some serious butt of the parents or family members who did not appreciate and love the little gems in their care.  We came out of that meeting with a better sense of the reality of adoption.  Now our application has been sent to CARR (I think) and it should take a week or a few weeks to hear if we have been "released". I guess to be released means we are accepted to continue on in the process and get the PRIDE training and homestudy done. PRIDE is a 9-weekend, 27 hour training program for adoptive or foster parents. I'm sure it is going to be very useful and helpful, but it saddens me that it make the process that much longer, and also Devin is JUST getting back to work, which means back to weekend work, so how we will get 9 weekends off, I do not know.
I'm still excited to see how this is all going to turn out, and see what God is up to, but it easily becomes daunting and sort of scary if we let it. I need to do a little more praying and a little less worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts