.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Simple Life

I sometimes forget how good simplicity feels. When I was a kid I loved such simple things like walking in the woods, climbing a tree or going for a swim in the river down the road. I think I have longed for that ever since childhood and I look for it wherever I can. I find simplicity when I read a book outside on a blanket, when I take the dog for a walk, when I sit by the ocean, when I photograph a sunset, or when Devin and I go camping in a simple tent and eat simple meals and simply read, swim, or sit by the fire.

 Last weekend we went to Lake Deifenbaker and dwelled in simplicity. During the day we slept late (for tenting anyway), made bacon and egg breakfasts on our camping stove and read our books by the morning fire. Then we'd pack up our books, lawn chairs, pool noodles, towels and camera and walk the short hike to the beach where we would hang out for hours. We read by the water until we were hot, then swam out deep with our pool noodles and waded in the wavey water. There is such beauty in that simplicity. In the evening we'd make hot dogs or a grilled cheese sandwich on the stove and Devin would make a roaring fire, and we would chat about spiritual, future, or "just life" things. We'd read our books some more, and when the fire started to settle down, I would roast a few marshmallows.  Aside from the intense thunderstorms that kept us awake at night, I felt like I could have stayed there a month. I enjoyed the simplicity and majesty (all at once) of nature, of just being with my husband, of no electricity or electronics, of enjoying a good book with no distractions. I love the simple life!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts