.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Bread




I just realized yesterday that I get an odd pleasure from throwing out a used bread bag and opening a new one. I finally put my finger on why I like this so much, and then it hit me; Devin and I take a long time to eat a loaf of bread, and when we fly through a bunch of loaves, it usually means we have guests in our home. For a couple who lives thousands of kms from family, having guests in our home is extra meaningful and fulfilling. Sometimes the quick consumption of bread also means our family is here, either way, someone we care about is in our home, sharing toast or grilled cheese sandwiches with us...and it makes our home a home.

This weekend we had 3 wonderful girls from our youth group stay overnight in our home, and sure enough, many grilled cheese sandwiches were had. Then the following 2 nights, Michelle and Katja stayed because the weather wasn't great and they live 30 minutes away--and more bread was consumed, and more feelings of home surrounded me. I found so much joy in making meals for the girls and washing extra dishes and cup. I loved having the girly chats, the hair-doing and makeup-making and nail painting. I loved the deep conversations about life, love and faith.

It breaks my heart that Michelle and Katja will be leaving Canada to move back to Paraguay. But as I say goodbye this week to these 2 beautiful people I've come to know and love so much, I will always cherish those 3 blizzardy days we spent together making memories and breaking bread.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts