.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sheltered




I live a pretty sheltered life. The word sheltered, according to Websters, means "something that covers or affords protection". If this is true, then why is the term thrown around as an insult toward those who aren't deemed socially acceptable or normal enough? Or if you are "too innocent" you might also be labeled as sheltered. I have chosen the sheltered life with intent and purpose, not out of fear, ignorance or weakness. According to the dictionary, a shelter covers or protects-- so what am I protecting myself from? And what is sheltering me?

My shelter is God and He is protecting me from evil, plain and simple. In my short 26 years I've allowed too much evil into my heart, mind, eyes, ears. I let things of this world mould me and manipulate me.

1 John 2:15-17
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

 Now that I know God, I mean really know Him and have a relationship with Him, I find my shelter in Him,

Psalm 91:4
He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.

Psalm 46:1
God is our shelter and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble.

Psalm 91:1
Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

I need not fear the world or the evil in it because God is working on my behalf when I find refuge in Him, and He protects me from it all. This "sheltered life" does not come without trials, bumps, bruises and heartache. It doesn't mean I won't get mt hands dirty and be there for people and love with my hands, heart and money. What it does mean is that God will continue to soften my heart amidst the things of the world that would normally harden it, and He'll keep me filled with joy, so the world can't steal it away, and He'll help me (through His Spirit) to do good, instead of evil.

 
This sheltered life is the only one I ever want to live, and the life I pray that many, many others will choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts